Amanda's (a penny for your) thoughts

"I can't believe it................That is why you fail."                "Take you to him I will." 

"It's one of those days when you learn to fly...with broken wings"

 

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The Gift of Life (Part I)

I recently decided to support a child in Haiti through World Vision. I can't post a picture right now because I don't have a scanner. My child's name is Stanley. He has two brothers and a sister. His parents are subsistence farmers. Stanley is in primary school. He likes to play soccer.
I decided to support Stanley for a few reasons. One, after a trip to Haiti in January 2002, through an organization called Foundation for the Children of Haiti, I saw the great need in Haiti. I feel like those are my kids. While at an orphanage, one of the little boys climbed up into my lap and asked in Creole, "Are you going to be my white momma?" Many live in one room shacks(if you could even call them that). Life is hard in Haiti, but the people are so happy. I feel blessed to be able to give to them.
I also wanted to give after seeing the great need during the AIDS crisis. Check out Dave's post on December 1st and 2nd. The need is great.
So for Christmas I give something that doesnt sit on a shelf or is quickly used up and forgotten. I was able to give the gift of life.
You can too. www.worldvision.org