Amanda's (a penny for your) thoughts

"I can't believe it................That is why you fail."                "Take you to him I will." 

"It's one of those days when you learn to fly...with broken wings"

 

Saturday, January 01, 2005

growing pains...

Well once again I am feeling the growth pains of a new nurse. Since my floor closed, due to lack of patients during the holidays, I have been "pulled" to various floors. Since I do not have much confidence yet this has been a frightening experience for me. I have to learn all new floors, people, and problems. But I have learned things too (Thanks Mom and Dad and Trevor for helping me see the light). I believe it is the Chinese word for adversity that can be translated as hidden danger or hidden opportunity. I was able to calm a confused patient by playing ball with play dough. I helped a woman pee. I was able to do a few things well and what I could not do, I passed on. I am trying to be a good nurse, what that means exactly for me I am in the process of defining. The same goes for my walk with the Lord, the process goes on until I die, in the physical or spiritual sense. So my new year begins with some challenges, but God walks with me through it all. I am reading a devotional book written by a nurse, something like Quiet Moments for Nurses and I think the woman's name is Sharon Fish (sorry I am at work). Each day I gain new insights, thanks to wonderful friends and family, who are just as vital to my nursing practice as my stethoscope and my handy scissors in my back pocket. I pray for confidence and patience daily.